About Laima

2017

Orkla Confectionery & Snacks Latvija will make a multi-million investment in the construction of a new, modern, multi-functional production facility in Latvia, Ādaži city. New production facility will provide Orkla Confectionery & Snacks Latvija with growth opportunities that correspond with the long-term strategic vision of the company’s development in Latvia in terms of production size, scale and capacity. The total investment in the new production facility and further development of Orkla Confectionery & Snacks Latvija will be up to EUR 20 million within a three-year period.

2016

The most popular brand of sweets, “Laima”, gets a new visual identity.

2015

“Laima” brand is added to SIA “Orkla Confectionery and Snacks Latvija”, one of the leading confectionery and snack companies in the Baltic States representing historic brands like “Selga”, “Staburadze”, “Ādažu īstie Čipsi”, “The original Taffel snacks”, “Old Town Bakery”, “Pedro”, “Mammas”, “Laima” Chocolate Museum.

2013

Opening of “Laima” Chocolate Museum.

2010

“Saldumu pilsēta” (City of Sweets), a film revealing the history of Latvian confectioners and “Laima” from the very beginning, experiences its première.

2005

Chocolate Room is opened, later serving as the basis for “Laima” Chocolate Museum.

1999

“Laima” clock in the centre of Riga is reconstructed.

1998

“Uzvara” is merged with the sweets manufacturer “Laima”, and thus products like zephyr and caramels get a new brand.

1980

Just like on other special events, “Laima” releases assorted sweets specially for the Olympic Games in Moscow.

1959

As demand for sweets increases, Latvian sweets factories are made more specific, thus “Laima” focuses on chocolate products, while “Uzvara” (former “Geginger”) manufactures caramel, zephyr, pastille, and halva.

1958

“Laima” manufactures 169 various sweets, including candies “Serenāde”, “Trifele”, “Sarkanā Magone”, “Vāverīte”, and “Prozit”.

1940

“Laima” is nationalised, Geginger’s sweets factory is renamed “Uzvara”.

1938

There are five stores of “Laima” brand in Riga, while the total number of stores in other Latvian cities reaches 10. Sweets of “Laima” are exported to the USA, Great Britain, Africa, France, and Sweden.

1937

Latvian government purchases shares of AS “Rigerts” and “Laima” and merges the factories, therefore it would be fair to say that contemporary “Laima” chocolate production skills date back to 1870 when the Riegert’s factory was founded.

Confessing love to his woman, a chocolatier of “Laima” creates an original candy named “Serenāde”.

1936

The “Great Clock” in the centre of Riga gets the logo of “Laima” and as of this moment is known as “Laima” clock.

Construction of the administrative building of “Laima” designed by Staņislavs Borbals, on the corner of streets Miera and Palīdzības, is completed.

1931

Sweets manufacturer “Laima” produces various types of sweets – including chewing gum.

1925

The founders of “Maķedonija” form a new joint stock company called “Laima”.

1924

A clock that was initially known to the public as the “Great Clock” is installed in the centre of Riga.

1921

Several Hebrew merchants establish a factory of sweets, “Maķedonija”, with only four employees initially. The factory was located in Riga, Miera Street. The company grew rapidly, expanded its activity, and in 1930 it employed already 500 people.

1881

Geginger’s factory is founded. It manufactures everything from chocolate to canned fish. Geginger’s factory became the main competitor of Riegert’s factory.

1870

In Riga, 4 Zaļā Street, Theodor Riegert opens the first chocolate factory in Latvia. Over the years, Riegert’s factory became one of the largest sweets manufacturers in the Baltic States and Russia.